kernel source/module directions and why windows users are happy

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at apestaart.org
Mon Aug 23 10:25:36 UTC 2004

Hi,

> actually with the 2.6 kernel it's the same for all of us. Heck, even
> with 2.4 was *IF* you had correct makefiles. (but I agree the 2.4 way
> needed more hacks and was somewhat unclean. But there is progress... see
> 2.6)

Sadly not integratable with autotools.  Causing kernel module projects
to still come up with their own
"works-on-my-machine-but-no-way-in-hell-will-it-help-you-package-stuff"
makefile setups.

Though of course neither packaging nor autotools are worries on most
kernel hackers' minds :)

Thomas

The girl that I could never hurt
had to go and lose all that power over me
and I claimed victory