upgrade to rawhide report

Alan Cox alan at redhat.com
Mon Aug 23 11:48:56 UTC 2004

On Sun, Aug 22, 2004 at 10:02:54PM -0400, Peter Arremann wrote:
> We've had the same issue with a couple of via-rhine and realtec 8139
> cards... The problem seems to be that the driver does not allow you to
> read certain things like mac address unless the interface is actually up.

We've been kicking around the idea that this should in fact become
mandatory.

> know if that fixes your issue. Last time I brought this up on this list, I was
> told that it wasn't a kudzu issue but that the driver needs fixing.

The problem with that view (which indeed was certainly my view and I fixed
some drivers) is that from "up" it can take 60 seconds to get gigabit
negotiation completed. In addition it really mucks up power management
code in all the drivers.

Everything else has "open it, do stuff, close it". Making kudzu do this
would fix a lot of bugs, and indeed SuSE seem to follow that rule in yast