upgrade to rawhide report

Colin Walters walters at redhat.com
Mon Aug 23 13:27:16 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-08-23 at 14:58 +0200, Nils Philippsen wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-08-23 at 14:30, Colin Walters wrote:
> > On Mon, 2004-08-23 at 10:03 +0200, Nils Philippsen wrote:
> > > for e.g. configuring network proxies,
> >
> > DHCP provides a means to advertise HTTP proxies, and there are other
> > ones too.  We should make sure we're supporting those instead of
> > requiring manual configuration.
>
> There are situations where you don't have an influence on the DHCP
> configuration (just being in the network of another company than your
> own). Mind I don't talk about fully graphical configuration for that,
> just hooks.

We need to support whatever Windows supports (i.e. what system
administrators are actually deploying), ultimately.

Incidentally, it shouldn't be all that hard to get the http proxy from
DHCP into userspace.  dhclient seems to write out the configuration
into /var/lib/dhcp/dhclient-ethX.leases.  At worst you could have a
little post-DHCP script that does "grep http-proxy", and then something
like:
dbus-send --system --signal com.redhat.Network.DHCP.HttpProxy string:$(proxy)

Then NetworkManager could listen for this signal and set the GConf key.
Then all applications which use GConf would dynamically pick up the
change.