upgrade to rawhide report

Alan Cox alan at redhat.com
Mon Aug 23 13:31:03 UTC 2004

On Mon, Aug 23, 2004 at 09:28:49AM -0400, Colin Walters wrote:
> > That then requires someone ensures every single script/option/method called
> > by NetworkManager is also called by the old style paths.
>
> Not sure about that.  The "old style" is very manual.  NetworkManager is
> entirely dynamic and moving as much per-user as possible.  There are
> probably things on the old path that shouldn't be used by
> NetworkManager, or if they are used, it should just be as fallbacks.

The alternative is that every application supports both and gets tested with
both. Ughhhhhhhhh.

> > It also prevents
> > numerous sensible real world usages like "dynamic IP on wireless but prefer
> > my static IP on ethernet when at home" - classic configuration.
>
> If you care enough to want a static IP address at home, then it
> shouldn't be problematic to set up a DHCP server that has static IPs for
> your MACs.

If that is the only machine I posess ?

Don't get me wrong - NetworkManager is potentially a very good thing and can't
tackle all the corner cases at the design stage or in revision 1. I appeciate
that.

Alan