upgrade to rawhide report

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Mon Aug 23 15:07:05 UTC 2004

> Will it have hooks for e.g. configuring network proxies, cups default
> destinations, etc. depending on the network/dns domain you're in?
> Currently I use a shell script as dhclient's exit hook that does these
> things for me (in a more or less reliable manner). Querying for the dns
> domain first, then maybe setting a static IP would also be an idea
> though I admit it sounds weird ;-).

NetworkManager sends signals over dbus when an interface is
activated/deactivated and when its IP address changes.  There is also a
daemon called NetworkManagerDispatcher that sits there, listens for
these signals, and runs any scripts in a particular directory
(currently /etc/NetworkManager.d) with the interface that changed and
its IP address.  This has been successfully used to keep VPN sessions
constantly alive no matter which interface you are on, and I imagine it
could be used to do other configuration information.

What people seem to be forgetting here is that NetworkManager is about
_near-zero configuration_.  If you have to go around doing out-of-the-
ordinary stuff like disabling network cards explicitly, or keeping two
network cards up at the same time, then you are NOT the use-case for
NetworkManager, and don't use it.  Things like proxies and other sorts
of desktop-user configuration in a corporate or home-user situation
should be supported by NM, even if they are not at this time.

Dan