upgrade to rawhide report

Owen Taylor otaylor at redhat.com
Mon Aug 23 19:24:56 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-08-23 at 09:31, Alan Cox wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 23, 2004 at 09:28:49AM -0400, Colin Walters wrote:
> > > That then requires someone ensures every single script/option/method called
> > > by NetworkManager is also called by the old style paths.
> >
> > Not sure about that.  The "old style" is very manual.  NetworkManager is
> > entirely dynamic and moving as much per-user as possible.  There are
> > probably things on the old path that shouldn't be used by
> > NetworkManager, or if they are used, it should just be as fallbacks.
>
> The alternative is that every application supports both and gets tested with
> both. Ughhhhhhhhh.

My feeling is that long term a daemon is right for servers too ... the
current style of a nest of shell scripts that tweak system configuration
parameters, run one service or another at one time or another just
isn't coherent or maintainable. It certainly doesn't lend itself to
status monitoring, a config GUI, etc.

For a server though you typically want the operation of the daemon to
be driven off of config files with explicit "reread-config" signals.

But I could see the same daemon being used for both with the dynamic
case being turned on by those config files.

Now, of course, changing the way networking on servers works from what
people are used to is likely to run into just a wee bit of resistance.

Regards,
						Owen