[rawhide social experiments] kernel-source(code) package removed once again ...

Enrico Scholz enrico.scholz at informatik.tu-chemnitz.de
Mon Aug 23 20:09:34 UTC 2004

rda at rincon.com (Bob Arendt) writes:

> Now the kernel headers are included with each kernel install!  Fantastic!

Fantastic?? That's a really bad idea and I do not see the sense behind
this step. It is wasted space (30MB and 6500 inodes per kernel on the
*root* partition) and it is impossible to prevent their installation. And,
to build new kernel-modules for another kernel I would have to install the
entire new kernel although headers would be enough.

I would appreciate it when the headers would be in a separate rpm or at
least, when they would be under /usr/src where I can do %_netsharedpath
magic.

Enrico