upgrade to rawhide report

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at welho.com
Tue Aug 24 05:37:13 UTC 2004

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004, Colin Walters wrote:

> On Mon, 2004-08-23 at 22:39 +0300, Panu Matilainen wrote:
>
> > ...and with VPN the network session can change underneath the browser.
>
> The browser's hardly unique here, every app that talks to the network
> has to be robust in this situation.

Sure, the browser is just one of the more user-visible things.

> > Would be awfully nice if the browser (and certainly not talking about
> > Epiphany only here) could be told "switch to this profile"
>
> We're trying very hard to avoid profiles, since they introduce a lot of
> complexity in the UI.

Yep. I wasn't really talking about per-application profiles but something
which the admins can set up beforehand for the user, eg list of settings
(including but not limited to proxies) to switch to when switching between
VPN and "normal" connection.

> > or even just
> > "reread your proxy configuration" by some means.
>
> In the ideal case that happens dynamically and transparently, as in the
> scenario I posted where the DHCP proxy is propagated via DBus then GConf
> to the user session.  In the worst case, you get an error loading the
> page, and you click on the link on the browser error page.

Which is fine for GConf applications but what about all the command line
tools which read proxy config from environment variables which aren't
really changable for the whole session once the user has logged in
(assuming http_proxy and friends are set up in ~/.bash_profile or so)?

	- Panu -