Will barrier support for ext3 be enabled by default for FC3 or errata kernel

Arjan van de Ven arjanv at redhat.com
Tue Aug 24 06:41:19 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-08-24 at 05:36, Yusuf Goolamabbas wrote:
> Hi, Looking at the latest bk tree via bkbits.net, I see that barrier
> support for ext3/reiserfs has been added into 2.6.9-pre. Will Fedora
> Core 3 automatically mount with write barriers enabled for ext3
> filesystem on a new install/upgrade.

not sure; the performance impact isn't quite know yet, but worse, there
is a lot of hardware of which it is suspected that it doesn't quite do
barriers right. until there is a firm idea about which that is, enabling
it by default sounds bad.
(There is a reason it's not enabled by default in the upstream
kernel...)