With udev, are dev and MAKEDEV still required?

Enrico Scholz enrico.scholz at informatik.tu-chemnitz.de
Wed Aug 25 02:57:55 UTC 2004

dhollis at davehollis.com (David T Hollis) writes:

> With udev now handling /dev and repopulating upon reboot, it seems that
> the dev and MAKEDEV packages are no longer relevant.

ACK.

A problem with MAKEDEV is, that it places the MAKEDEV *binary* into
/dev. This is a really bad place for it; devfs under 2.4 removed it and
buildsystems which need a special /dev will remove it also.

Especially in the latter case, this is very problematic as some packages
need it to create %files list. I would suggest to move MAKEDEV into
/sbin and to create a symlink into /dev on demand.

> [root at dhollis-lnx i2c]# rpm -e dev MAKEDEV
> error: Failed dependencies:
>         dev is needed by (installed) which-2.16-4
>         dev is needed by (installed) mod_ssl-2.0.50-4
>         dev is needed by (installed) kdelibs-3.3.0-1
>         dev is needed by (installed) mkinitrd-4.1.1-1
>         dev is needed by (installed) initscripts-7.67-1
>         MAKEDEV >= 3.0 is needed by (installed) raidtools-1.00.3-8

There are probably some additional BuildRequires: on MAKEDEV missing in
this list.

> I'm not terribly concerned about these packages from a space perspective
> (especially since all of dev's files get blown away anyway!) but now rpm
> --verify dev

Adding '%_netsharedpath /dev' into your /etc/rpm/macros file and to
reinstall the dev package would be a workaround.

Enrico