Name/GenericName

Rex Dieter rdieter at math.unl.edu
Thu Aug 26 13:34:43 UTC 2004

Bryan Clark wrote:

>>The freedesktop.org .desktop file standard already has the ability to
>>distiguish
>>Name=gaim
>>GenericName=IM
>>or
>>GenericName=Internet Messenger
>

> As you can see from the bug report this is a short term switch,

Short term as in having to wait for FC4 to have this resolved?  Or will
this be handled before FC3 is released?  (The latter, I hope).

For this example:
Name=Gaim Instant Messenger
GenericName=Instant Messenger
which shows silly redundancy (it *should* be Name=Gaim)

> once the
> menu code is finalized in GNOME then we can continue to go with the
> f.d.o spec.

So, this is only to workaround shortcomings in GNOME's menuing?  AFAIK,
KDE has no problems dealing with Name/GenericName.

> There have been many long threads on this topic that don't need to be
> relived on this list.  You can search google for things like: "GNOME
> menu generic name" to read the previous work.

I know, and I've been trying to argue diligently against it at every
opportunity...

-- Rex