Name/GenericName

Rex Dieter rdieter at math.unl.edu
Thu Aug 26 14:05:19 UTC 2004

Joshua Eichorn wrote:

>> So, this is only to workaround shortcomings in GNOME's menuing?
>> AFAIK, KDE has no problems dealing with Name/GenericName.
>>
> Read the mailing lists, just concating Name and GenericName for menus
> doesn't work in many other languages.

I haven't said anything about concatenation.

> Otherwise the spec is broke, I don't know what KDE does, maybe have
> really word names for stuff in some languages.

KDE is user-configurable, to display one of:
Name only
Name (GenericName)
GenericName (Name)

IMO, GNOME should do something similar.

As it is now, you're breaking KDE (or at least making things appear
ugly) for the latter 2 cases where Gaim would show up as:
Gaim Instant Messenger (Instant Messenger)
which is no better than the original problem trying to be fixed/solved.

-- Rex