FC3test2 heads-up, and easier development schedule tracking

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Fri Aug 27 05:55:29 UTC 2004

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 15:06:27 -0400 (EDT), Elliot Lee <sopwith at redhat.com> wrote:
> Fedora Core 3 test 2 is devel-freezing on Wednesday, September 1. If there
> are bugs that need fixing by then, please make sure that they get
> needed love & attention. Install testing of the devel tree is especially
> valuable.

You asked for it....... i just did a fresh install of the development tree:
Workstation install... no custom packages
/home and /usr/local  partitions unformated
/  /boot /var /usr  all formatted clean

1)firstboot in graphical mode traced back on my in the Activation module.
I'm going to have to go back and run firstboot again and take a
digital image so i can transcribe the traceback text before I can file
this.
1a)firstboot in text mode mostly worked... the soundcard detection
didnt, and the tui interface for the printer setup left some ascii art
artifects when switching "screens"... things like text dialog buttons
lingering into the next text screen when choosing the printer location
and driver.  test page printing worked in text mode firstboot

2)no cdrom or floppy mount points were created.
/dev/fd0 device is created.. but fstab doesnt have an entry for it.
/dev/hdb is my cdrom drive and it mounts correctly using mount on the
commandline
but no /dev/cdrom link is created and no fstab entry.

I'm really starting to think my idea for a command called
"give-me-my-floppy-back-now-damn-it" would be a good idea

3)plugging in usb devices and i dont get an fstab entry on hotplug.
udev is creating the sdX and sgY devices. I've commented on this
before and the problem is still there. I have to forcible restart
haldaemon to see updated fstab entries for usbdrives.. I was hoping
what i was seeing before was an artifact of something i did on my
fc3t1 based install. But I'm still seeing this with a fresh install
directly from the development tree.

4)opening the Computer icon on my desktop is making nautilus peg a cpu
at 99% until i forcible kill nautilus.  Haven't seen this before.
Anyone else seeing this?

5)usb scanner still seems to work, shockingly.

6)looking for a way as a user to set a default printer.... I'm not
seeing anything obvious... anyone got any pointers to the right menu
item or whatever im suppose to use to do that now?

7)gnome-theme-manager is crashing on me again... damn! I had a bug
open on this and I thought it was no longer occuring i was sooooo
ready to go back and close it.
running  strace g-t-m  in a terminal makes the crashing stop...i'm
still grotesquely fascinated by that.

I think thats about it on initial findings.

-jef"<kingston trio>where have all my floppy drives gone.. long time
passing... when will they return... when will they return</kingston
trio>"spaleta