my system needs manual network ifup after boot

David T Hollis dhollis at davehollis.com
Sun Aug 29 03:25:31 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-08-28 at 10:49 -0500, Bob Gustafson wrote:
> The MAKEDEV problem eems to be fixed - I think I saw a successful update.
>
> However, ifup still needs to be run after boot
>
> [root at hoho2 user1]# date
> Sat Aug 28 10:40:45 CDT 2004
>
> [root at hoho2 user1]# yum update MAKEDEV Gathering header information
>  file(s) from server(s) Server: Fedora Core 2 - Development Tree
>  Finding updated packages Downloading needed headers No Packages
>  Available for Update No actions to take [root at hoho2 user1]#

What is making you think that the problem with your Ethernet device is tied to MAKEDEV?  It would be much more likely to be initscripts and/or iputils.  No files are created/used in /dev for Ethernet devices (only tun devices and the like have a device node).  For reference, here's my levels of these packages (I don't even have MAKEDEV installed any longer since only raidutils needed on my system so I pulled it as well as raidutils):

iputils-20020927-16
initscripts-7.73-1
kernel-2.6.8-1.526
kernel-2.6.8-1.532