yum 2.1.0

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Tue Aug 31 07:16:31 UTC 2004

Hi All,
 I'm only sending this to devel lists b/c using this release should be
for people who are:
1. comfortable with python tracebacks
2. comfortable with things breaking from time to time
3. comfortable with reporting bugs and using bugzilla.

So, with that in mind.

I'm pleased(sorta) to announce yum 2.1.0. This is using the new xml-
based repository metadata (http://linux.duke.edu/metadata).

NB: THIS CAN ONLY BE USED WITH REPOSITORIES THAT ARE USING THE NEW
METADATA FORMAT. THIS WILL NOT WORK WITH OLD-STYLE YUM-ARCH
REPOSITORIES.

What's New:
 - all sorts of things, not the least of which is a huge percentage of
the code. :)
 - I've not documented all the new things, if someone would like to
point out things, please, do so.

What's Known to be Broken:
 - all the docs are wrong or somewhat wrong - if you want to know about
   config variables read yum/config.py - that should be VERY clear
 - all the groups functions do not work - they're just not hooked up
 - all the clean functions do nothing
 - the search and provides functions are not hooked up, either.
 - when updating a kernel it will not make the new kernel the default
   boot kernel.

What's Known to Work:
 yum install/update/upgrade/remove/
 yum list
 yum info
 yum generate-rss

What needs to be done:
 - translations
 - clean up some output
 - docs
 - group functions
 - clean functions
 - search/provides/query/etc
 - all sorts of goodies I've missed while writing infrastructure.

Where you get it:
http://linux.duke.edu/yum/download/2.1/

Where you report bugs:
https://devel.linux.duke.edu/bugzilla/

Where you send hatemail:
 Either yum-devel list or fedora-devel-list.

Thanks,
-sv