yum 2.1.0

Sean Middleditch elanthis at awesomeplay.com
Tue Aug 31 15:05:04 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-08-31 at 16:53 +0200, Gilles FABIO wrote:
> Hi !
>
> Good work Seth !
>
> Personally, I prefer YUM to APT... But APT has a friendly graphic
> frontend with Synaptic. Does somebody know a similar project for YUM? I

Synaptic is anything but friendly.  It is a direct, raw wrapping of the
apt command-line.  You still have to actually understand how apt works,
what the different between update, upgrade, and dist-upgrade are, have
to deal with the lack of categorization in RPM packages, etc.

> intended to speak about GYUM (http://cobind.com/yumgui.html). Is it
> really performant? Does someone use it? I'll be interested to translate
> it into french langage if it's a better alternative to APT-Synaptic.

GYUM is a UI abomination, but otherwise, it works.  I sent in a big list
of UI suggestions and reasoning to the GYUM devs and never got a
response - no idea if they plan on fixing the UI to be sane or leaving
it the ugly, unusable mess that it is.

It'd probably be easier to just write a fresh GUI from scratch using the
proper tools, especially if yum 2.1.0 is as easy to wrap as Seth is
indicating.

> Regards,
> Gilles

AwesomePlay Productions, Inc.