RFC: Fedora Extras shipping ix86 optimized rpms?

Matthias Saou thias at spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.egg.and.spam.freshrpms.net
Tue Aug 31 15:38:31 UTC 2004

Alexander Larsson wrote :

> > > Well, SSE/SSE2 can help for graphic/video/audio applications.
> > > But there .i686.rpm doesn't help you, either the application
> > > selects whether to use SSE/SSE2 or not at runtime, or the packages
> > > can have separate sse2 and normal libs in one package:
> > > /usr/lib/libfoo.so.1
> > > /usr/lib/sse2/libfoo.so.1
> >
> > This is "the proper way" for sure, but there are quite a few of (mostly
> > multimedia) projects out there that hardcode MMX/SSE support at compile
> > time, rather than enabling it at runtime when built for the x86
> > architecture :-(
>
> Can't you build the same tarball twice? Once with sse2 enabled,
> installing with LIBDIR=/usr/lib/sse2, and one in the normal way with
> sse2 disabled.

Is then having the same library twice, the regular one in /usr/lib and the
SSE2 optimized one in /usr/lib/sse2, expected to "just work" at runtime? If
so, I didn't know the existence of this, and will definitely look into it.
What about MMX? Should one just simplify with SSE vs. non-SSE instead and
put (non runtime) MMX optimized libs there too?

Matthias

Fedora Core release 2 (Tettnang) - Linux kernel 2.6.8-1.521
Load : 1.19 1.25 1.15