Kernel 2.6.8-1.521 breaks Cisco VPN client...

Kim B. Nielsen kbn at daimi.au.dk
Tue Aug 31 16:44:45 UTC 2004

Bob Chiodini wrote:

>On Tue, 2004-08-31 at 11:32, Kim B. Nielsen wrote:
>

>>Just to report it, the 2.6.8-1.521 kernel breaks the Cisco VPN client in
>>a very odd way.
>>
>>The current network configuration og the laptop I'm using, is a wireless
>>network card, and an normal network card (wirefull).
>>
>>The funny thing is, that when i start the client on the wireless
>>interface, everything is fine, and everything works as it's supposed to.
>>If i then shifts to the wire, UDP packages suddently isn't comming
>>throug, but tcp connections work fine. That is, no name server
>>resolution, but I'm able to ping and access sites with the ip.
>>
>>I know that the vpn client is Cisco's responsibility, but I thought I
>>would mention it to you, in case that it points to something gone bad in
>>the kernel. I have tried to do the same exercises with the -358 kernel
>>that ships with Fedora, and everything works in this kernel.
>>
>>I hope this is of some use (And that a fix can be made :)
>>
>>Regards
>>/kbn
>>

>Kim,
>
>I'm not familiar with the newer VPN clients, but does it need
>recompiling to support the latest kernel?  Also, does anything show up
>in /var/log/messages?
>
>Bob...

Hi...

Yes, it does need to recompile, but this is taken care of in the
installation of the vpn client. And when you upgrade the kernel, you
just need to run the installation again. And the kernel module works
fine when the wireless connection is used, and on tcp trafic in the
wirefull, but not udp traffic on the wirefull...

And nothing shows up in the /var/log/messages....

/kbn

--
"UNIX is user friendly, it's just selective about who its friends are."
  --Unknown