CONFIG_HIGHMEM64G=y for x86_64 SMP kernels

Per Bjornsson perbj at stanford.edu
Tue Aug 31 17:16:43 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-08-31 at 07:01, Stephen J Smoogen wrote:
> Alan Cox wrote:
> > An opteron can address more than 4GB without highmem of any kind when running
> > in 64bit mode.
> >

> But I need it for my 32 Exabyte system (2^65 bytes)!!! No rush though...
> memtestx64-86 is going to take 4 more months before it gets its first
> run through.

Wow, I guess now we know where the budget deficit went... Let's ignore
all the consequences apart from cost and see what the budget for this
thing might be. Since you guys are obviously buying in bulk I guess you
can get good memory for say $0.10 per MB (1 GB, or 2^30 bytes of memory,
for $30). You want, eh, 2^35 times that, or about 34 billion 1 GB memory
sticks. So that memory alone should have cost about $3.4 trillion.
That's got to be some computer! ;)

Cheers,
Per

--