yum 2.1.0

Sean Middleditch elanthis at awesomeplay.com
Tue Aug 31 18:05:32 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-08-31 at 12:41 -0400, seth vidal wrote:
> > GYUM is a UI abomination, but otherwise, it works.  I sent in a big list
> > of UI suggestions and reasoning to the GYUM devs and never got a
> > response - no idea if they plan on fixing the UI to be sane or leaving
> > it the ugly, unusable mess that it is.
> >
> > It'd probably be easier to just write a fresh GUI from scratch using the
> > proper tools, especially if yum 2.1.0 is as easy to wrap as Seth is
> > indicating.
>
> Here's a wacky idea, What about using system-config-packages as the
> front end?

Ya, that would work, too.  ;-)

Better also if you can get system-install-packages hooked up with those
two tools, so that when I grab a package from somewhere other than a
registered yum repository, dependencies can still be resolved and
installed.

It'd also be nice if yum supported 'temporary' repositories that were
passed to it on the command line or through library calls, so, for
example, an application RPM could include some meta-data pointing toa
repository containing dependencies, so users don't have to a) manually
add the repository to their yum.conf or b) manually download all the
dependencies.

> That might be a useful project, hooking s-c-p and yum up together.
>
> -sv

AwesomePlay Productions, Inc.