Kernel 2.6.8-1.521 breaks Cisco VPN client...

Keith Sharp keith.sharp at gmail.com
Tue Aug 31 18:46:57 UTC 2004

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 17:32:47 +0200, Kim B. Nielsen <kbn at daimi.au.dk> wrote:
> Just to report it, the 2.6.8-1.521 kernel breaks the Cisco VPN client in
> a very odd way.
>
> The current network configuration og the laptop I'm using, is a wireless
> network card, and an normal network card (wirefull).
>
> The funny thing is, that when i start the client on the wireless
> interface, everything is fine, and everything works as it's supposed to.
> If i then shifts to the wire, UDP packages suddently isn't comming
> throug, but tcp connections work fine. That is, no name server
> resolution, but I'm able to ping and access sites with the ip.
>
> I know that the vpn client is Cisco's responsibility, but I thought I
> would mention it to you, in case that it points to something gone bad in
> the kernel. I have tried to do the same exercises with the -358 kernel
> that ships with Fedora, and everything works in this kernel.

Known problem with the Cisco VPN Client and 2.6.x kernels.  It is
already in Bugzilla (sorry, I cannot remember the number) and Cisco
are aware of the problem.  The problem is in the Cisco binary module,
so only they can fix it (and I believe they are working on it).

The workaround, as you already discovered, is to use a wireless connection...

Keith.