Kudzu and automatic detection

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Mon Dec 6 17:20:53 UTC 2004

On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 18:04:25 +0100, Nicolas Mailhot
<nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net> wrote:
> 1. The piece of hardware should be marked unavailable
> 2. The sysadmin preferences should be stored
> 3. on new plug-in old preferences should be restored.

And... does hal do this any better at the moment.. without "manual"
reconfiguration of hal policy?  And can't you "manually" reconfigure
the saved-state that kudzu uses?  I very much hope that someone will
develop tools to help creating local hal/kudzu policy for devices to
ease local system admin burden when reconfiguring devices when the
defaults do not work. You are speaking to a more general problem than
the original poster was describing.

-jef"as soon as you get emotional publicly, the chance that this
public discussion will be constructive decreases a great deal...and
i'm more than willing to push your buttons and watch your head
explode...but i'd prefer to do it in another forum where the
entertainment value of bloodsports is widely appreciated"spaleta