Kudzu and automatic detection

Dimitrie O. Paun dpaun at rogers.com
Mon Dec 6 17:49:59 UTC 2004

On Mon, Dec 06, 2004 at 11:54:46AM -0500, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> On Mon, 6 Dec 2004 11:13:51 -0500, Dimitrie O. Paun <dpaun at rogers.com> wrote:
> > Of course there is, what do you mean "kudzu properly removes/adds printer".
> > This is silly, once it's added and configured, it shouldn't remove/add
> > it on every reboot!
>
> If a piece of hardware is no longer available, shouldn't it be unconfigured?

I don't know about that, and really I don't much care about unconfiguring
stuff. My understanding of the original post was that kudzu would try to
reconfigure the printer on every reboot, which is simply foobared.

Now, I have seen this a few times on my boxes:
  kudzu: your XYZ have been removed from your system. Remove configuration?
  me: eh, yes?
  kudzu: your XYZ have been added to your system. Configure device?
  me: why, you little...!

I don't care about some deep technical discussion on why this makes sense,
becuase it just doesn't.

And no, I don't think you should unconfigure anything. Just remember the
config, maybe use it next time you plug in the device.

> > If I *manually" have to do stuff, it's broken.
>
> If i have to manually reconfigure settings to suit my prefences...
> things are broken?

Yes, if you have to do it every time you start your box.
Imagine if your had to reconfigure your desktop every time
you started X.

--
Dimi.