includes and binary code

Sean Middleditch elanthis at awesomeplay.com
Fri Dec 17 18:15:24 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-12-17 at 19:08 +0100, soraberri wrote:
> I think my problem is a concept failure:
> When I include in my programs a #include <afile.h> I am telling the
> compiler to look for afile.h and paste the code in my program. So far so
> good. But the header file usually only holds definitions and not the
> implementation of the functions, so what I don't understand is how can
> the system (compiler) know where and how to find the library or the
> piece of binary code that actually implements the functions defined in
> the afile.h
>
> hope this is a very simple question for you

You tell the compiler to include the library using -l.  For example,
   gcc -o test test.c -lsomelibrary
Please read the GCC documentation instead of asking the list. (Which
isn't even the right list to ask user questions - this list is for
developing the Fedora distribution.)

> regards

AwesomePlay Productions, Inc.