SSL cert/key location (was: rawhide report: 20041217 changes)

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Wed Dec 22 03:30:27 UTC 2004

On Tue, Dec 21, 2004 at 09:28:28PM +0100, Enrico Scholz wrote:
> dwmw2 at infradead.org (David Woodhouse) writes:
> >> exim-4.43-3
> >> * Thu Dec 16 2004 David Woodhouse <dwmw2 at redhat.com> 4.43-3
> >> - Demonstrate SASL auth configuration in default config file
> >> - Enable TLS and provide certificate if necessary
> >> - Don't reject all GB2312 charset mail by default
> >
> > This enables TLS on incoming and outgoing mail by default -- some
> > feedback from testing would be appreciated.
>
> To repeat my arguments from bugs #141479, #143392 and #143393:
>
> * the /usr filesystem (inclusive /usr/share/ssl) can be shared between
>   several hosts; when there are multiple servers, every one would use
>   the same certificate. This will not work because CN must match the DNS
>   name
>
> * the sharing happens in >90% of all cases over an unencrypted
>   network-filesystem (NFS). So, an attacker could easily get the
>   SSL key.
>
> A better place for the certificates would be somewhere under /etc.

Indeed, I always wondered why the certificates had been put under
/usr/share/ssl and by whom. The FHS had been quite strict on this from
the very beginning.

/etc seems a rather sane place. Perhaps /etc/ssl/?
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net