stateless linux project status

Jason Powers powers.jason at jimmy.harvard.edu
Thu Dec 23 17:37:24 UTC 2004

The diskless method has potential applications here, we had a hell of a
time getting LTSP up by itself but this was pretty easy in comparison.
Also, the way it stores the snapshots may potentially be useful for me
to hold images for Win2k desktops, and that would mean we wouldn't have
to spend $$ on ghost.

Other than the documentation being out of date and the PXE Generation
script being utterly nonfunctional out of the box and requiring X for
the config scripts and the idea of having to turn on rsync on every
machine on my LAN being a little scary, it's a good idea.

I'd offer to help but I'm still a novice when it comes to python, I'm
not sure my code would stand up. However, when I complete my current
project (getting your builds of openldap/openssl/postgresql working
together smoothly), Stateless is next on my list which puts it about
mid-January.

I do hope you have people work on it, the configuration process needs
extensive testing, the documentation needs to be updated WITH the code
and the little bugs in the process could be worked out - there are
complications inherent in a lot of the dependencies (ldap, dhcp) that
would take minds much sharper than mine to fix, but I see working on the
scripts as they are as being a good challenge as I learn more python.

I do appreciate redhat's support of these projects, I've learned a lot
about linux and computers in general by working with your OSes over the
past 6 years. Like a lot of people I just wish I could devote a little
more of my workday to making Fedora better, but every time Lotus or
another application is set to 'RHEL only,' Fedora has less and less
opportunity in the workplace to justify people spending work-time on it,
I end up spending time I could be working on these projects on finding
the right compat-libs for Lotus, for Oracle, for SAS and SPLUS. Having
community-developed support for thosewould be a useful project in its
own right.

Jason