building own RPMs

Michael Schwendt fedora at wir-sind-cool.org
Fri Dec 31 09:10:06 UTC 2004

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 21:39:39 -0800 (PST), Kevin McConnell wrote:

> > http://fedoraproject.org/pre-extras/3/
> >
> > $ rpm -qf $(which fedora-buildrpmtree)
> > fedora-rpmdevtools-0.2.0-1
> >
> > Ralf might enjoy reading the header of the script.
> > ;)
>
> Coulda saved an extra character by doing:
> $ rpm -qf `which fedora-buildrpmtree`
> fedora-rpmdevtools-0.2.0-1
>
> ;) keep it lean

Well, consider the possibility that I used the $(foo) command
substitution notation deliberately. That decision is not due to
personal preference alone, but it's based on the long-time experience
that it's rather newbie-safe and avoids read errors and type
errors. Depending on what font [or font size] the reader of my message
uses, the difference between a single quote character and the
backquote may not be obvious for everyone.

Btw, I should have typed

  $ which fedora-buildrpmtree
  /usr/bin/fedora-buildrpmtree
  $ rpm --query --file $(which fedora-buildrpmtree)
  fedora-rpmdevtools-0.2.0-1

for increased readability and to save even less space. ;)