Elektrified X.org released (was: X configuration paradigm, and a proposal)

Per Bjornsson perbj at stanford.edu
Wed Dec 1 00:25:54 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-11-30 at 19:44 +0000, Alan Cox wrote:
> Mobility Electronics have been shipping cardbus hotplug video for about
> 5 or 6 years now (E1000V). They make fun toys for this sort of testing
> and are cheap on ebay generally 8)

Hotplug of displays is way more common than that; consider the laptop
case, where you want to sometimes plug in a projector and just mirror
the main display (which mostly works now) but sometimes you want to plug
in a second monitor for extra screen real estate and expand your desktop
onto it, and most of the time you just have the laptop display. At least
I haven't found a way to do the switch without an X restart but I guess
I might have missed something (can RandR help with this simple case)?

Of course, if the general hotplug case is taken care of, reconfiguration
of a graphics card on the fly will probably basically be solved
automatically as part of that so that's definitely the real solution;
however, some work and testing might be possible even without somewhat
exotic hardware.

/Per

--
Per Bjornsson <perbj at stanford.edu>
Ph.D. Candidate, Department of Applied Physics, Stanford University