i486 base architecture

Jeff Johnson n3npq at nc.rr.com
Thu Dec 2 13:42:48 UTC 2004

Pekka Pietikainen wrote:

>On Wed, Dec 01, 2004 at 11:10:04PM -0500, Jeff Johnson wrote:
>

>>Prolly the strongest mechanism is to attach a run-time probe dependency to
>>the "cpu(...)" name space and parse /proc/cpuinfo for the relevant info.
>>That mostly works, but will have problems in chroot's w/o /proc mounted,
>>and will be kinda weird if/when, say, the mobo or disk is moved amongst
>>machines, to mention just 2 possible problems off the top of my head.
>>
>>I suspect those deficiencies can be lived with, and are no worse than
>>existing arch based tests.
>>

>Would there be any compilications if the thing was generalized and
>you could do Requires-Return-Code: /usr/lib/rpm/check-x86-cpu-flags cmov
>(or whatever the syntax would be, basic idea is that there's some
>external thing that exits with 0 or 1).

Well, not a script please, scripts break way too often to be reliable.

But yes, return codes like
     0 == condition is TRUE
     1 == condition is FALSE
from a function that is passed the {N,EVR,FLAGS} dependency triple which
is dispatched iff the 'cpu(...)' name space wrapper is detected.

Kinda like 'rpmlib(...)' tracking dependencies, which are also a
run-time probe dependency
wrapped in a name space.

>In any case, such a thing should be easy to override, even when
>using a frontend like yum.

Yep.

73 de Jeff