Elektrified X.org released (was: X configuration paradigm, and a proposal)

Sean Middleditch elanthis at awesomeplay.com
Sun Dec 5 22:03:29 UTC 2004

Avi Alkalay wrote:

>On Sun, 05 Dec 2004 12:57:30 -0500, Sean Middleditch
><elanthis at awesomeplay.com> wrote:
>

>>Avi Alkalay wrote:
>>

>>>I'm having a look at inotify, which is the basis for gamin.
>>>

>>Don't tie your code to inotify, tie it to something like gamin.  Gamin
>>can abstract away the different OS interfaces, so that machines without
>>inotify will still have some form of notification (dnotify, polling,
>>whatever).  There's no good reason to reimplement that code yourself.
>>

>Yeah I know.... I'll try to stick in the high level, but I'm worried
>about dependencies. It makes no sense to have /lib/libkdb.so depending
>on libs under /usr/lib.

That does make sense, good point.

>The 5 minutes I spent reading about inotify made me believe it is a
>kernel module, but I couldn't find it, nor the /dev entry, nor the
>dmesg messages in the FC2 machine I have close to me right now. Is
>this stuff already included in regular distros kernels ?

It's a patch, not a module.  it will, eventually, be part of the
mainline kernel, but at the moment, you have to patch it in yourself.
Or you can grab pre-patched kernels - for example, if you're running
Netware Linux Desktop, RML has some patched kernel RPMS here:
http://primates.ximian.com/~rml/kernel-rml/nld-9-i586/?C=N;O=A