Thunderbird 1.0 and Enigmail

Christopher Aillon caillon at redhat.com
Mon Dec 6 17:34:30 UTC 2004

Jos Vos wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Any chance to get Enigmail back, either in the Thunderbird 1.0 rpm
> or as an additional Fedora (non-extras) package?
>
> Enigmail is said to have a version for Thunderbird 1.0 now.  IIRC
> it was once removed because of a maintenance nightmare, maybe this
> problem disappears after the official release of Thunderbird?

The problem will always exist as long as they are not maintained by the
same people and thus on different release cycles.  The basic nightmare
is: new release by mozilla, enigmail is broken until a new release of
it.  Generally, this is fairly quick, but it is unreliable, and when
time becomes important (say for security updates), you can see where
this becomes a problem.

I would very much applaud and offer what assistance I can to an effort
to get Enigmail integrated into Mozilla Thunderbird's source, as I think
that is the ideal solution here.