Kudzu and automatic detection

John (J5) Palmieri johnp at redhat.com
Mon Dec 6 17:38:57 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-12-06 at 12:04, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> Le lundi 06 décembre 2004 à 11:54 -0500, Jeff Spaleta a écrit :
> > On Mon, 6 Dec 2004 11:13:51 -0500, Dimitrie O. Paun <dpaun at rogers.com> wrote:
> > > Of course there is, what do you mean "kudzu properly removes/adds printer".
> > > This is silly, once it's added and configured, it shouldn't remove/add
> > > it on every reboot!
> >
> > If a piece of hardware is no longer available, shouldn't it be unconfigured?
>
> 1. The piece of hardware should be marked unavailable
> 2. The sysadmin preferences should be stored
> 3. on new plug-in old preferences should be restored.
>
> Given that modern buses like USB provide manufacturer, model and serial
> number

They all don't.  But if they do HAL does configure the device
automatically.

> forgetting everything we know about a device every time it's shut
> down (because powering down is sufficient for kudzu/hal to kill prefs)
> is not acceptable.
>
> I DO NOT WANT TO CHANGE MY PRITER DPI EVERY F* TIME IT'S POWERED UP !

I don't see a bug on this in bugzilla.  Rule of thumb is if it is not
filed in bugzilla it is not going to get fixed.  This is why we have the
test releases and rawhide.  Please file a bug on hal-cups-utils.

> (sorry for being emotional)

These threads often go off topic and become ignored when emotion comes
into them.  Thanks.

--
J5