Thunderbird 1.0 and Enigmail

Stephen J. Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Mon Dec 6 19:22:32 UTC 2004

On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 12:34:30 -0500, Christopher Aillon
<caillon at redhat.com> wrote:
> Jos Vos wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Any chance to get Enigmail back, either in the Thunderbird 1.0 rpm
> > or as an additional Fedora (non-extras) package?
> >
> > Enigmail is said to have a version for Thunderbird 1.0 now.  IIRC
> > it was once removed because of a maintenance nightmare, maybe this
> > problem disappears after the official release of Thunderbird?
>
> The problem will always exist as long as they are not maintained by the
> same people and thus on different release cycles.  The basic nightmare
> is: new release by mozilla, enigmail is broken until a new release of
> it.  Generally, this is fairly quick, but it is unreliable, and when
> time becomes important (say for security updates), you can see where
> this becomes a problem.
>
> I would very much applaud and offer what assistance I can to an effort
> to get Enigmail integrated into Mozilla Thunderbird's source, as I think
> that is the ideal solution here.

And the fact that the Enigmail or Mozilla people do not advertise it
as an extension for Thunderbird when you look for extensions does not
help any. I think this is an issue where people contact the Enigmail
upstream, find out what the problem is, and see if it can be fixed.

> --

Stephen J Smoogen.
CSIRT/Linux System Administrator