Thunderbird 1.0 and Enigmail

matt whiteley mattwhiteley at gmail.com
Mon Dec 6 22:29:48 UTC 2004

On Mon, 6 Dec 2004 12:22:32 -0700, Stephen J. Smoogen <smooge at gmail.com> wrote:
> And the fact that the Enigmail or Mozilla people do not advertise it
> as an extension for Thunderbird when you look for extensions does not
> help any. I think this is an issue where people contact the Enigmail
> upstream, find out what the problem is, and see if it can be fixed.
> --
> Stephen J Smoogen.
> CSIRT/Linux System Administrator

Normally enigmail not loading means mozilla was built with
--disable-shared or without --enable-crypto. The fedora build appears
to use both. It will install enigmail but then complains about
enigmime not being available but in new versions of enigmail, enigmime
is built in.

As for them not advertising:
http://enigmail.mozdev.org/
"Enigmail is an extension to the mail client of Mozilla / Netscape and
Thunderbird which allows users to access the authentication and
encryption features provided by the popular GnuPG software"

http://texturizer.net/thunderbird/faq.html#q2.12
"Hooks to PGP or GnuPG are not included in Thunderbird, but are under
development at Enigmail."

Also at:
http://extensionroom.mozdev.org/list.php/Thunderbird/privacy
https://update.mozilla.org/extensions/showlist.php?application=thunderbird&os=linux&version=0.9