Kudzu and automatic detection

Stuart Children stuart at terminus.co.uk
Tue Dec 7 10:35:28 UTC 2004

Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-12-06 at 13:51 -0800, Per Bjornsson wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 2004-12-06 at 15:32 -0500, Bill Nottingham wrote:
>>
>>>To really speed things up, all you have to declare is that all serial
>>>mice must be manually configured...
>>
>>So maybe it's actually time to at least default to ignoring certain
>>types of legacy hardware by default?
>

> or... if you find a ps.2 or usb mouse skip the serial probing.. the
> chance of having BOTH a ps2 one and a serial one are pretty low after
> all :)

Absolutely! I can't imagine that would upset anyone, and means you
shouldn't get through the boot process without some type of pointing
device operational.

If kudzu/whatever is run interactively then you could clearly show a
"skip serial mouse detection if usb/ps2 mouse found first" checkbox [1]
[2] which can be disabled by the user if necessary. It would be a shame
to drop automagic configuration for these things completely.

[1] Or just detect everything anyway - time taken isn't so important in
that case - though that could be confusing to users.

[2] In fact a more general "skip legacy hardware" option might be more
appropriate.

PS: Anyone want a two-button serial mouse that's been sitting in a box
with other junk for several years? :) I think I vaguely recall using it
once. Really not worth ebaying so if you're in London or are happy to
pay for postage...

--
Stuart