X86_64 Yum Question

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Wed Dec 8 15:50:36 UTC 2004

Thomas Zehetbauer writes:
> yum defaults to installing both x86_64 and i386 packages if they are
> available in the x86_64 repository. You can force either architecture by
> appending .i386 or .x86_64 to the package name.

I decided not to go there. I was trying to install the recently released
flumotion, which is actually a noarch. The only way I was able to get at
it with yum was to globally replace $basearch with 'i386' in the
gstreamer .repo files.

Unfortunately, the x86_64 gstreamer-plugins reported a conflict. A yum
remove gstreamer-plugins was going to remove so much, I backed out:

Performing the following to resolve dependencies:
  Remove: gnome-applets.x86_64 1:2.8.0-5
  Remove: gnome-media.x86_64 0:2.8.0-3.FC3.1
  Remove: gnome-session.x86_64 0:2.8.0-4
  Remove: gnome-volume-manager.x86_64 0:1.1.0-5
  Remove: gstreamer-plugins-devel.x86_64 0:0.8.5-1
  Remove: nautilus-media.x86_64 0:0.8.1-3
  Remove: rhythmbox.x86_64 0:0.8.8-1
  Remove: totem.x86_64 0:0.99.19-1
Is this ok [y/N]: n

I decided not to go there. For my immediate purposes I have made my
point, which is that I could do it, if needed, it seems--but better to
tell my colleagues to stick with 32-bit unless/until we can build x86_64
of the flumotion dependencies (gstreamer-python, at least).

BTW: We're setting up to stream the FSG Accessibility WG face-to-face in
Hawaii next month. They've come up with an amd64 machine as the
capture/encode/stream server, and I'm seeing caution flags in my mind.