RFC: root/non-root bash prompts different colours?

Doncho N. Gunchev mr700 at globalnet.bg
Thu Dec 9 01:06:20 UTC 2004

On 2004-12-08 (Wednesday) 19:47, Ralf Ertzinger wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 08, 2004 at 12:42:03PM -0500, Alan Cox wrote:
>
> > Not all terminal devices support blink 8)
>
> How about making it beep every second?

    This pretty sure is gonna make many of us mad and we'll have to
ask Alan to use his "torture kit" on you ;P~
    Now serious. I think a sound every second, even nice girl's voice,
will be too annoying. AFAIK red blinking color is hypnotic/dangerous
for some people. We all know that root's prompt starts with '[root'
and ends with ']# ', users' prompt starts with their username and
ends with ']$ ' already. I wonder why do you want to "differentiate
root/non-root bash prompts" even more? What about tcsh, zsh, ash, all
shells from /etc/shells [ except /sbin/nologin :) ]?
    PS: something like /etc/nologin's idea can be usefull too - type
something like '/etc/root-prompt-warning' before root's prompt?

--
Regards,
  Doncho N. Gunchev    Registered Linux User #291323 at counter.li.org
  GPG-Key-ID: 1024D/DA454F79                        http://pgp.mit.edu
  Key fingerprint = 684F 688B C508 C609 0371  5E0F A089 CB15 DA45 4F79