Broken %post scriptlets in recent java packages

Ville Skyttä ville.skytta at iki.fi
Thu Dec 9 07:41:21 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-12-07 at 16:51 +0100, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> Le mardi 07 décembre 2004 à 16:28 +0100, Enrico Scholz a écrit :
> > Hello,
> >
> > recent java-packages (ant*, xerces*, ...) have scriptlets like
> >
> > | $ rpm -q --scripts servletapi5-javadoc
> > | postinstall scriptlet (using /bin/sh):
> > | rm -f /usr/share/javadoc/servletapi5
> > | rm -f /usr/share/javadoc/jsp-api
> > | ln -s servletapi5-5.0.18 /usr/share/javadoc/servletapi5
> > | ln -s jsp-api-5.0.18 /usr/share/javadoc/jsp-api
> >

> > This is really bad code because it does not make sense in an rpm-world
> > and causes problems in combination with the %_netsharedpath feature.
>
> This is one of the last raw areas on JPackage 1.6.
> To this date no one has found a satisfactory way to build & install
> interlinked javadocs (I think you'll find several threads on this
> problem in list archives). The current solution is Ville's (I think) and
> he publicly stated he didn't like it.

Actually that basic "solution" predates me in JPackage.   And "didn't
like" is a understatement, that's seriously ugly stuff and needs work.

The basic requirements, IMO in order of importance are that: it needs to
work, it needs to provide something unversioned (for bookmarking, IDE
config, javadoc crosslinking etc), and it must be possible to install
several versions of the same javadoc package in parallel.  Currently #1
fails in certain situations.