RFC: root/non-root bash prompts different colours?

Jonathan Andrews jon at jonshouse.co.uk
Thu Dec 9 09:03:48 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-12-09 at 02:06, Doncho N. Gunchev wrote:
> On 2004-12-09 (Thursday) 03:40, Jonathan Andrews wrote:
> > If people want to play with colours how about changing the dark blue
> > colour in 'ls' to one that people can read like cyan, i'm yet to find a
> > computer I could read that text on yet - Its only the dark blue, but it
> > would save starting a session with 'unalias ls' every time I login to a
> > redhat box :-|   ....
> >

>     Just export your onw LS_COLORS in your ~/.bashrc, ex change:
> from default: LS_COLORS='no=00:fi=00:di=00;34:....
> to cyandir  : LS_COLORS='no=00:fi=00:di=00;36:....
>     or append this in .bashrc / put it in /etc/profile.d/z_my_colors.sh:
> --- cut ---
> LS_COLORS=$(echo "$LS_COLORS" | sed 's/00;34:/00;36:/g')
> export LS_COLORS
> --- cut ---

Yes, im aware of how to change it on a per machine basis - my home
machines have modified DIR_COLORS and DIR_COLORS.xterm ....... But I was
complaining about the default. Its also not practical to modify every
machine I have to administer in a working week - or desirable for me to
confuse other admins by changing things on a persistent basis, so
'unalias ls' is a quick way to ensure I can at least read the session.
If the default wasn't dark blue it wouldn't be an issue, I cant be alone
in finding the dark blue unreadable on a black background on most
monitors.

Jon