how do I make lsof be useful again in fc3?

Jamie Zawinski jwz at jwz.org
Fri Dec 10 07:57:21 UTC 2004

In FC3, lsof only seems to work properly if you are root.

For example: the "ssh-agent" process is running as "jwz" and has the
file "/tmp/ssh-rZlWVC4461/agent.4461" open.

If I run "lsof -p `pidof ssh-agent`" as root, it shows me this; if I run
it as jwz, it does not.  This is wrong, since all processes and files
are owned by the same non-root user.

I assume this is because of newly-paranoid permissions on
/proc/*/fd (in FC3, those are all owned by root instead of the
user running the process.)

How do I fix it?

"Log in as root" is not a good answer, because I need to do this sort of
thing from various scripts that are run non-interactively (and not as
root.)

--
Jamie Zawinski
jwz at jwz.org             http://www.jwz.org/