Xen in rawhide

Dimitrie O. Paun dpaun at rogers.com
Mon Dec 13 05:05:24 UTC 2004

On Sun, Dec 12, 2004 at 11:08:16PM -0500, Rik van Riel wrote:
> One of the things I would like to do there is work on the
> light-weight Xen daemon x2d2, which should allow Fedora
> developers to run a lighter-weight guest 0, with more memory
> remaining for their unprivileged guests - good for developers
> who want to run every version of Fedora on their build system. ;)

Another cool thing would be to integrate Xen with Linux to the
point where it can *dynamically* detect if it's running under
Xen or not, and run the appropriate version.

I was told that a simple way (and quite effective from a practical
standpoint I might add) of doing so would be to simply have two
versions of the kernel (the regular i386 build and the xen build)
packaged together, and somehow pick the right one to run at boot
time.

That would be a nice and easy way to handle installation. It would
also be easier to support, because you know the two versions are
in lockstep, so support should be simpler.

--
Dimi.