Self-Introduction: Jonathan Leighton

Per Bjornsson perbj at stanford.edu
Mon Dec 13 22:54:01 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-12-13 at 23:43 +0100, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> The Gtkmm stacks is up-to-date. Denis Leroy, who maintains it at
> fedora.us, has done two updates recently, which will build just fine
> on FC3 whenever that will be done.

Sorry, indeed the SRPMS in the FC2 download area build and appear to
work just fine - when I rebuilt them I didn't change the specfile at
all. I was just trying to warn people about attempting to build Inkscape
against the FC2 _binary_ packages; running Inkscape gives you a somewhat
impenetrable error message. I certainly didn't mean to slander Dennis's
fine work with the packages; I'm sorry if it came across that way.

> > This is an example of when the
> > Fedora.us packages for FC2 don't work well on FC3
>
> There are other examples. For instance, libid3 from FC2 breaks k3b-mp3
> on FC3 silently. And I doubt, many people try to run the FC2 packages
> on FC3 actually, because it looks so questionable to do that.

Well, if you upgrade a computer from FC2 to FC3 and you use Fedora.us,
there can be plenty of packages lying around. Since there's no FC3
Extras repo to point yum to there's no automatic upgrade path, you'd
have to go through and rebuild manually. So I don't really think that
it's all that unusual to have FC2 Fedora.us packages lying around. The
gtkmm case is probably exceptionally problematic though because of the C
++ ABI break.

/Per

--
Per Bjornsson <perbj at stanford.edu>
Ph.D. Candidate, Department of Applied Physics, Stanford University