Self-Introduction: Jonathan Leighton

Per Bjornsson perbj at stanford.edu
Tue Dec 14 06:53:04 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-12-13 at 23:38 +0100, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> Using bugzilla for package submissions and package updates has been
> considered extra burden for package maintainers. Hence for several
> months, trusted developers can update/upgrade their packagers without
> needing to wait for QA in bugzilla. With fedora.us' infrastructure
> they would open a ticket as a build request for a src.rpm. But since
> FC3 builds are not done at fedora.us, the Inkscape packager didn't
> open such a ticket.

OK. I thought that the process still involved a bugzilla entry even
though it could be effectively self-approved by

> > How else is anyone supposed to know what is in the pipeline?
> > Knowing that is quite essential for avoiding duplicate work.
>
> Well, the current situation is exceptional. With packages being
> maintained in CVS, you would use different means of monitoring package
> development.
>
> In either case, though, you would never know what's _planned_ until
> you talked to the packager and participated in the planning actively.
> You would only see actual changes when they are applied and before
> something would be built.

True. In this case I probably ahd a mistaken idea of who was packaging
it, I forgot to check the old RPM and sort of remembered Peter Linell
dealing with it earlier. I was under the impression that he was on the
Inkscape list where the packaging has been bandied about a bit, so I
didn't realize that there could be a package in the pipeline.

Now (and this is of course directed more generally to anyone in the
know), since there apparently is a Fedora package of Inkscape 0.40, is
there anywhere I and other interested parties can get hold of the SRPM?
A public dump of the SRPMs somewhere would be fantastic.

> And currently at fedora.us, all new packages are still tracked in
> bugzilla. So, there is no duplicate work unless you worked on somebody
> else's packages while he is preparing updates himself. In that case,
> you can't really avoid any human-to-human communication.

;) Boy, I didn't really mean to sound like I didn't want to talk to
anyone. Sorry about that. It seems to me that an easy way to figure out
who's working on what sounds useful to me - . Actually, it just struck
me that perhaps something like Debian's ITP system (as far as I can tell
it pretty much means that when you're planning to package something you
send an e-mail to a mailing list) might be a good idea for Fedora
Extras?

No hard feelings I hope,
Per