Stateless kickstart problem

Christopher Hotchkiss christopher.hotchkiss at gmail.com
Tue Dec 14 21:46:06 UTC 2004

Okay here is how I setup my basic stateless network. Please note that
I am still adding more functionality to it, but for the basics it does
work.

1. Requirements:
A server capable of serving rsync, dhcp, nfs, apache. They do not have
to be the same machine, you just need to have access.
A set of workstations, optimally one that has already been completely
setup. Meaning it allows for authentication across the network.

2. Workstation Setup
Setup a workstation with any *NIX style os, Fedora, FreeBSD, Gentoo,
etc.. I would highly recommend you setup nfs home directories, on a
server. Also an authentication scheme would be highly advisable.

3. Setup a snapshot on a rsync server.
An example rsyncd.conf file follows.
[code]
[stateless]
path=/srv/Workstation
comment=Post Workstation
uid=0
[/code]

Here is an example rsync command to do the copy.
[code]rsync -e ssh -av --exclude '/proc/*' --exclude '/sys/*'
IP-address-of-test-machine:/ /srv/Workstation
[/code]

4. Next setup a Fedora install tree and export it via nfs.

5. Make available the attached kickstart file via a web server. Please
remember to change the address of the install tree, and the address of
the snapshot.

6. You now have a choice, you can setup a dhcp server and use a pxe
boot to start the kickstart or you can make a kickstart install cd as
described at the following link.
http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/stateless/sn-caching-clients.html

That should be enough to get you guys going. I have also attached the
client-server program I use to individualize each computer after they
boot. I am still working on a set of scripts to make the snapshot
process a little more automated. It isn't that hard however to change
the rsyncd.conf and copy a directory, so it may not occur.

Happy Hacking and e-mail me if there are any problems with this.
--
Christopher Hotchkiss
(813)960-9273