mknod: xxx: Operation not permitted

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Thu Dec 16 09:57:37 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-12-16 at 10:44 +0100, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-12-16 at 09:31 +0100, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Trying to create a char-device as ordinary user, results into this:
> > # mknod /var/tmp/bla-1.0.0/etc/udev/devices/bla01 c 212 0
> > mknod: `/var/tmp/bla-1.0.0/etc/udev/devices/bla01': Operation not permitted

> > This issue prevents one from being able to build rpms containing special
> > devices as ordinary users.
>
> then the rpm in question is buggy.
Quite likely, I am at trying to get the rpm spec shipped with a
proprietary device driver working.

> First of all, RPM has a directive to do this properly (%device iirc),
Thanks, that's news to me. I will try to investigate (I recall there is
a %dev, but I haven't used it, yet).

> Second of all, it's quite suspect that you want to package a device node
> in an rpm since most of them are dynamic numbers nowadays... are you
> sure your device is registered with LANANA ?
The example above used arbitrarily chosen numbers. I don't know if the
actual devices-numbers have been registered with LANANA. As this is a
closed source driver, I would not bet.

Ralf