Me stupid: lost password for gpg

Paul Iadonisi pri.rhl3 at iadonisi.to
Thu Dec 16 21:19:56 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-12-16 at 21:23 +0100, Hans de Goede wrote:

[snip]

> See I thought, hmm this is going to be an important password letts think
> up a new one (mistake!), used it a couple of times then didn't use it
> for a few months and now BUMMER!

[snip]

> Now I've already submitted my gpg key to: pgp.mit.edu.
> I could ofcourse just nuke my current .gpg dir and start from scratch
> since not many people have my public key already, but then my old key
> would still be registered at pgp.mit.edu .

[snip]

> I'm already quite embaressed about this as it is, so no that is SO
> stupid replies please.

  I feel your pain.  Once upon a time, I had three PGP 2.6.2 keys, but I
had only submitted one to pgp.mit.edu.  I wanted to revoke it, so I
revoked it in my local keychain, and extracted *the WRONG key* and
submitted it to pgp.mit.edu.  As luck would have it, it was the one out
of the three keys whose password I had long forgotten due to lack of
use.

  *sigh*

  Maybe the new dual Opteron box I just ordered can crack the passwords
for both our keys. ;-)

  I would *love* to find a way to remove my key from pgp.mit.edu as
well.  Any help to Hans would be appreciated over here as well.
--
-Paul Iadonisi
 Senior System Administrator