OpenOffice Memory Bloat?

Eivind gentoo.warrior at gmail.com
Fri Dec 17 19:17:24 UTC 2004

I am just curious why OpenOffice on FC3 consumes roughly 150MB of
memory contra a 100MB of memory using Gentoo.

I did a little experiment myself, where I checked the System Monitor
and listsed the memory maps for that process, (Identically, you can do
it by 'cat /proc/<pid_of_OO>/maps' and sort the output by size).

I found that the library libsvx645li.so which is a 12MB library is
loaded 6 times into memory on FC3 in contrast to Gentoo wich only
loads this library once. On gentoo I am using the vanilla OO from
www.openoffice.org, and I've tested this with both the standard FC3
rpm and the vanilla OO with no significant difference (~2-4MB).

Both distributions is using gnome 2.6 and the Metacity window manager.
I am just curious on what may cause this huge memory bloat (why is
this library loaded 6 times and not 1).

Any comments?

- Eivind