OpenOffice Memory Bloat?

Kyrre Ness Sjobak kyrre at solution-forge.net
Fri Dec 17 22:47:20 UTC 2004

fre, 17.12.2004 kl. 20.17 skrev Eivind:
> I am just curious why OpenOffice on FC3 consumes roughly 150MB of
> memory contra a 100MB of memory using Gentoo.
>
> I did a little experiment myself, where I checked the System Monitor
> and listsed the memory maps for that process, (Identically, you can do
> it by 'cat /proc/<pid_of_OO>/maps' and sort the output by size).
>
> I found that the library libsvx645li.so which is a 12MB library is
> loaded 6 times into memory on FC3 in contrast to Gentoo wich only
> loads this library once. On gentoo I am using the vanilla OO from
> www.openoffice.org, and I've tested this with both the standard FC3
> rpm and the vanilla OO with no significant difference (~2-4MB).
>
> Both distributions is using gnome 2.6 and the Metacity window manager.
> I am just curious on what may cause this huge memory bloat (why is
> this library loaded 6 times and not 1).
>
> Any comments?

I did a norwegian "nynorsk" (there are two, very similar official
languages in norway) test on my laptop today, in which i happened to use
the spellchecker quite extencively...

But when i was about to print the result, i plugged in the network cable
and hit print - the printer's (network printers shared through a CUPS
server on the LAN) wasn't there... So i restarted OO.

It took about 1-3 minutes *shutting down* OO (it had swapped out
something like 300 MB), and then at least a minute starting it up again
(as "everything" was out in the swap...). And i was in a hurry...

So i have some questions:
- Why did OO stop discovering printers when they are added (it did
before - just close the printer dialogue and reopen it)
- Why does OO load many hundred MB of dictionaries? I don't care if a
misspelled word happen to be correct in Czech. (Norwegian misspelled
words has some tend to be correct in that language.) It also slows down
the spellchecker a *lot*.
- Why aren't OO quickstart included in fedora?

At least #2 should be quite fixable right now (just send an update)...

Kyrre
Waiting impatiently for OO 2.0