svn or arch

Dries Verachtert dries at ulyssis.org
Fri Dec 17 22:55:16 UTC 2004

On Friday 17 December 2004 22:30, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Hi
>
> > Yes; but you still have the rpm revision number.  I
> > am arguing for its
> > removal entirely.  That's one less spurious thing
> > you see in a diff
> > between branches, and one less thing to merge
> > conflict on.
>
> can such things be done without breaking compatibility ?

Do you mean the Release tag or the Version-Release of a spec file with 'the
rpm revision number'?

If i'm correct, you suggest to remove the release or the version-release
completely from the spec file.. this would make it impossible to build the
spec file with a 'rpmbuild -ba bla.spec'. What about adding default tags like
'Release: 1' which gets replaced by the build system of Fedora Extras?

Such tags can be changed by the Fedora Extras buildsystem before it starts a
rebuild of a spec file, no?  I'm also doing something like that with my
self-made mini buildsystem: the last commit revision of that spec file is
added automatically to the first changelog entry.
This makes it possible to check automatically which spec files are already
built for a certain distro/arch and which are not because i can compare the
svncmtid of the binary rpms with the current version of a spec file in the
subversion repository. I really like this kind of automated stuff which makes
life a lot easier for me :-)  This is also possible with cvs instead of
subversion and the release tag (or version and release tag) instead of the
changelog i guess.

kind regards,
Dries Verachtert