buildrequires (was: svn or arch)

Michael Schwendt fedora at wir-sind-cool.org
Fri Dec 17 23:41:30 UTC 2004

On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 00:07:56 +0100, Dries Verachtert wrote:

> On Friday 17 December 2004 23:52, Cristian Gafton wrote:
> > On Fri, 17 Dec 2004, Dries Verachtert wrote:
>
> > > An example: is gcc-c++ installed by default or should it be included in
> > > the BuildRequires of each c++ program?
> >
> > No, the development tools like compilers, make, autconf are assumed to be
> > available. I realize that the @development-tools group might be broad for
> > some tastes; later on we'll look at eventually reducing the scope further
> > of what is assumed to be in the buildroot; for now that is a relativey
> > sane and safe compromise, I think.
>
> Thank you very much for the information! Although i must confess i'm used to
> mach which doesn't install that much packages automatically within a
> buildroot, i think it's great there is (or will be) some standard endorsed by
> Red Hat which will be used by Fedora Core and Fedora Extras and maybe also by
> others like maybe Fedora Legacy.. this will make it easier to transfer a spec
> file from Fedora Core to Fedora Extras i guess.

In the meantime, give the fedora-rmdevelrpms tool a try:

  http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/HOWTOFindMissingBuildRequires

It's included in the fedora-develrpms package. It finds and uninstalls
a lot of development packages automatically, but at the same depends
on a minimal set of other development packages which stay installed.

It's a good start, although depending on what you have installed, you
may see that it fails to uninstall gettext and m4 and any of their
dependencies.